Declaring Runway Distances and Displacing Thresholds
Contact Training Department
The temporary change of declared landing and take-off distances is a very important instrument for airport operations. It enables to maintain air operations during construction works or after an incident – instead of closing the runway.
Nevertheless, the displacement of thresholds is often conducted in a rush by untrained staff, possibly resulting in the non-consideration of several safety critical aspects.
The main purpose of this 2-day course is to provide to the staff involved in airport operations (incl. oversight and regulators) with the necessary knowledge of the minimum technical and operational requirements for re-declaring declared distances and displacing thresholds.
Attendees will learn about the technical and operational limitations on runway operations, the applicable obstacle clearance criteria, the infrastructural requirements (incl. markings, lighting, NAVAID) as well as the operational procedures e.g. for promulgating reduced distances and controlling hazards.
Through practical exercises, participants will be required for different scenarios to determine the threshold locations, assess the consequences on operations, calculate the available declared distances, as well as define the applicable requirements on marking and lighting.
Please note: This course can also be booked as an in-house version in German - however, the course material is only available in English.
Language:German / English
Technical and operational limitations on runway operations
- Mass limitations (MTM, MTOM, MLM, MZFM, OEM)
- Relevant runway lengths and distances (TORA, TODA, ASDA, LDA)
- Operational basics for take-off, approach and landing (speeds, aircraft performance, etc.)
- Approach procedures (non-instrument and instrument: NPA, APV, PA etc.) and associated runway requirements (ICAO Annex 6, 14,10 PANS-OPS Vol. II)
- Relevant adjacent areas of runways (RWY strip, RESA, clearway, stopway)
- ICAO Annex 14 obstacle limitation surfaces (approach, transitional, take-off climb surfaces, obstacle free zone)
- ICAO PANS-OPS obstacle protection areas (OCA/H)
- ICAO PANS-OPS Flight procedures
- Certification performance requirements (Take Off Path, Gross & Net Take Off Flight Path)
- Relevant runway markings and lighting
- Displaced threshold marking
- Displaced threshold lighting
- Visual Approach Slope Indicator Systems
- Instrument Landing System (ILS)
- Area Navigation (RNAV)
- Satellite-Based Navigation (ABAS, SBAS, GBAS)
- Management of re-declared distances
- Guidelines and Calculation of reduced distances
- Control of temporary hazards
- Pre-defined scenarios
- Case studies of displaced thresholds after an accident
- Approach over obstacles
- Operation - Exercises
Jan Walther, Dipl.-Ing.
Jan works at airsight in the quality of airsight’s aviation consultant and has extensive expertise in airport operations. He has particularly been involved in complex topics such as runway operations, apron management and air traffic services, ground handling and safety management systems.
In the last few years, he conducted several comprehensive safety assessments – notably on behalf of Dubai Airports – on different specific subjects related for instance to low visibility operations, parallel runway operations and jet blast issues. Jan’s competencies enable him to closely work with air traffic controllers, pilots, operational staff, as well as authorities. Furthermore, Jan is an auditor for SMS and an experienced trainer on auditing in aviation and other safety related topics.
- Aerodrome operations managers and duty officers
- Aerodrome designers, engineers and planners
- Aerodrome safety managers
- Aerodrome quality and compliance managers
- Architects and civil engineers
- Civil Aviation Authorities staff
- Air Traffic Control staff
airsight offers this training course on request, worldwide. At the end of the course, all participants will receive an airsight certificate based on EASA training regulations, which is highly recognized throughout the aviation industry.
About airsight Training
airsight Training course quality
airsight operates an ISO 9001 certified Quality Management System and pursues the objective to provide high quality services that fully meet the clients’ needs.